Friday, July 31, 2009

California hosts forum for disabled students

From the Ventura County Star:

SACRAMENTO — Johnathon Hoover and Alessandro Neri — two recent high school graduates with physical disabilities — traveled to Sacramento this week as Ventura County delegates in a forum of disabled students.

Hoover and Neri were two of 59 students with disabilities from throughout the state who attended the Youth Leadership Forum. The five-day forum offers disabled students the chance to network, meet disabled professionals, and learn new ways of reaching their career goals.

“I’ve faced a lot of persecution because I wasn’t a ‘normal student,’” said Neri, 18, of Newbury Park High School, who has a rare growth disorder called Sotos syndrome. He said a disabled person is often seen as just that, disabled.

Forum co-chairwoman Teresa Favuzzi said this stigma often discourages disabled youths, who often have few role models. The forum, she said, allows students to learn they are not alone.

“This is one of those opportunities where they go, ‘There are people who look like me, that have similar experiences, and they are part of a larger community,’” Favuzzi said. “We’re all looking for positive reflections of ourselves.”

Hoover, 18, was born with cerebral palsy. He said he went to the Sacramento forum to achieve his goal of owning a business.

“I want to see my name on a building someday,” said Hoover, an Oxnard native who went to Santa Barbara High School.

He hopes to go to Oregon State University and study business. Hoover said he has always been told this would be impossible.

“People told me I would never graduate,” Hoover said. “The doctors told me I would never walk, and I’ve done that.”

During the forum, Hoover met Dana Lamon, a blind California judge. Hoover said meeting Lamon strengthened his resolve to go into business.

“It’s a real inspiration,” Hoover said. “If I hadn’t come, I wouldn’t have met people that are like me, that I can relate to more than anyone.”

For Neri, coming to Sacramento was especially exciting, as he hopes to go into politics.

“I hope to become an advocate and a fundraiser for good causes, like disability programs.” Neri said, noting he is already a member of the Democratic Club of Conejo Valley.

Neri, Hoover, and other students went the governor’s office Wednesday where they met Jim Krider, former vice mayor of Napa, who uses a wheelchair.

“You don’t worry about it,” Krider said, referring to disabilities. “You say this is me. I’m proud of me.”

Fillmore resident and forum counselor Jonas Gomez said the event can be life-changing for disabled students. Gomez, whose left arm is paralyzed, attended the forum after graduating from Fillmore High School in 2004.

“I had a new enthusiasm,” Gomez said of attending the forum. “It’s the first time for a lot of them where they find people who genuinely want to help them.”

The forum was first held in 1992 and is conducted by the Employment Development Department, the Department of Rehabilitation, and private groups.