Monday, June 10, 2013

Britain's Got Talent comedian Jack Carroll, a teen with CP, lands autobiography book deal

From The Mirror in the UK:

Britain's Got Talent joker Jack Carroll (pictured) can laugh all the way to the bank after landing a book deal to tell all about his life.

BGT boss Simon Cowell is also lining up TV and DVD agreements that may make the 14-year-old a millionaire, the Sunday People has revealed.

And cerebral palsy sufferer Jack, who won the nation’s heart with his self-deprecating and politically incorrect jokes, has already got to work.

He said: “I’d like my own TV show and I’ve written a few things, I’m just not sure if it’s good enough.”
A show source said: “Simon’s very excited about Jack. He thinks he is absolutely amazing and going to be massive.

“He doesn’t have anyone like Jack in his stable yet but fell for him straight away and now regards him as part of the Syco family. He’s already got him a deal for a book, which he thinks will sell very well.

“Jack has had a tough time growing up, he was a miracle baby who lost his twin brother at birth and has lived with cerebral palsy ever since. Because of this he was always in and out of hospital but he gets through it and doesn’t seem too fazed.

“He really has suffered but Jack’s jokes have his audiences in hysterics.”

His parents Sue and Matt, both now 49, were told Jack, born 11 weeks prematurely and weighing just 3lb 4oz, was unlikely to survive after a strain of streptococcus killed his twin Tom.

Jack had suffered a bleed on the brain, which left him with cerebral palsy.

His battle against the condition as well as his comedy has won the bespectacled lad a growing army of fans.
He said: “I would love to do stand-up and tour the country but I might be a bit young to do an arena tour.

“I’m just a huge fan of comedy, you just need to look at my DVD collection. I’d like my own TV show. If it was offered I’d look into it. It would be good fun.

“I don’t want to pre-empt or get my hopes up in case nothing comes of it. I’m hoping for the best. I’m just in a state of delirium. It’s all pretty mad but I’m enjoying it. I’m having a good time.”

“People have written to me and told me they have the same disability and they’ve seen me on Britain’s Got Talent. I never set out to be a role model but if people do take comfort or inspiration from me then that’s brilliant.

“I have to be nice to people in the street now which is a weird thing. I’ve been getting a lot of attention with lots of people asking for photos and autographs.”

In November 2010 Jack did a 10-minute slot with stand-up star Jason Manford, 32, on The One Show and is still regularly in contact with him.

He said: “Jason has been a big help and has guided me through the whole thing. He’s been a big influence and a massive help. I run my routine by him, he gives me advice but I do what I want, anyway.

“He didn’t tell me what gags to use on BGT but he did polish up the act a bit. If you have told me a few years ago we’d  be mates I wouldn’t have believed you. We’ve chatted about working together on  a few things but ­nothing solid.”

Jack certainly knows what he wants. He said: “If Simon said I needed a makeover I’d tell him no.

“I wouldn’t do anything, well, unless he paid me lots of money to do it,” he added with a cheeky grin.
Although Simon, 53, is a big fan, Jack’s favourite judge is fellow comedian David Walliams, 41. He said: “David’s been  giving me lots of advice. I love Come Fly With Me and Little Britain. They inspire me because David and Matt Lucas do exactly what they want to do.”

Should Jack enjoy similar success and make his fortune life will be easier.

Sue said: “Jack was wearing splints at one point and we had to wait four months for an appointment. Jack has had physio or osteopathy every week for 12 years.

“We had to go private at a cost of £55 an hour. We’re lucky and can afford it but not everyone can. It’s like anything, having more money it can make life easier.”

Now Jack is focusing on other things. He said: “I don’t have a girlfriend but who knows whether I’ll get one after the show. Whatever happens, happens. I’m having a great time.”